Bulletin‎ > ‎Volume 61 (2014-2015)‎ > ‎

Volume 61 Number 02 - 14 July 2014

The Rotary Club of Kaikohe  Bulletin

Dinner Meeting
Wednesday 16 July - Guest Speaker - District Governor Bruce Rasmussen
Wednesday 23 July - Speakers - John and Helen Ellis

Members’ Privileges (Be sure to arrange a replacement if you are unable to take up your privilege)



Five Minute Speaker 

 Introduce Speaker


Reception Meeting Closure 



Sergeant's Assistant



 Thank Speaker

16 July


Megan Hammerton

 Bruce K






John E 

John V 


23 July 





Bruce K 




Bruce G 



News and Notices

  • Directors will meet with District Governor Bruce Rasmussen at 4:30pm on Wednesday 16 July.

  • Link to early advice of the Kerikeri New World Rotary Garden Safari - 1-2 November 2014.

  • Link to a message from Water and Sanitation Rotarian Action Group (WASRAG).

  • Link to Draft 2014-2015 Club Organisation.

  • Link to Membership Research and Programmes - a message from Rotary International.

  • Link to 2014 Dictionary Distribution Spreadsheet.

Calendar and Blogs (where there is always something new - check these links every week)

  • Link to the Kaikohe Rotary Club Calendar.

  • Link to Kaikohe Rotary’s Facebook page.

  • Link to the Rotary Service Connections Blog.

  • Link to Monita's Facebook page.

  • Link to the Rotary Voices Blog.

  • Link to the Rotary Down Under Blog.

  • Link to the Rotary Regional Public Image Resource Blog.

  • Link to Rotary International’s Member News.

Regular Newsletters

  • Link to Rotary Weekly - 3 July 2014 - Meet Rotary’s new President.

  • Link to download the District Governor’s Newsletter - June 2014.

  • Link to download the District Governor’s Newsletter - July 2014.

  • Link to the Rotary Down Under webpage - July 2014.

  • Link Rotary Young Leaders in Action - June 2014.

  • Link to the latest Kerikeri Club Bulletin.

  • Link to the latest E Mara E Pānui.

9 July Meeting Report (Reporter - Donna)

  • Notices

    • Kaikohe Rotary half-year subs now due.

    • Honorary Members confirmed: Heather Ayrton, Audrey Brown, Hoani Hippolite, Bill Hutchinson, Lindsay Johnson, George Palmer, Rayma Ritchie, Murray Wright and Keith Hingston.

    • Directors’ Meeting 23 July.

    • Bruce and Jill Gillies anniversary afternoon tea is being held at the Pioneer Village on Saturday the 12th of July between 2 and 4pm

    • Glenis advised that she attended the Kaitaia Diamond Jubilee last week. They only have 8 members and are struggling but are strongly supported by a group of widows of past members.

    • Chris Burrows has contacted Liz advising of the Rotary Exchange student Megan Hammerton who will be going to with Argentina or Chile. Megan attends Whangarei Girls and will be able to come and give us a 5 minute talk next week while she is home for the holidays.

    • 30 July - Dargaville Club Changeover - Glenis has been invited but is unable to go. Liz will try and get there.

    • 31 July combined meeting with Kaikohe Lions.

    • 13 August - Secondary Schools’ Speech Contest (Whangarei Finals 20 August).

    • 28 September  - Traverse - Organising needs to start now.

    • 8 November - Bay of Islands Show Waimate North.

    • 20 November - Area One Dinner -  Cam Calkoen.

    • 10 January 2015 - Kaikohe Show.

    • Bill and Ray are looking after programming and they will work on as much as possible before Bill leaves so that he can hand it over to Ray.

    • Rotary International is asking clubs to hold a Rotary Day to put ourselves out there, such as helping schools out with Sports Days, BBQ’s, tree planting etc, this will need to be thought about some more.

    • Bill suggested we look for high school students who are interested in Interact then progressing onto Rotaract then move into Rotary. Perhaps we can look at our core of students and talk to the person in charge of Interact and see if they are willing to come along and talk to us. Bill will try and find someone from Interact to come along and talk to us.

    • The Directors decided at the last meeting held that even though we are supporting the tablets etc in schools programme they still want to continue with the dictionaries to schools.

    • Bill suggested that we need to have more than one person looking after committees, ideally there should be a leader and a deputy who can take over the task the following year and the deputy should be looking at who they want as their deputy when they take over.

    • Stan mentioned that the biggest problem is communication, there must be good communication between the committees and the club so that everyone knows what is happening and ask for help when you need it.

    • Elizabeth suggested we need to make more use of the District Committees they are there to help and advise.

    • Elizabeth is providing Don with a template for meeting minutes for the website so that whoever has the privilege of doing the minutes can go online and type the information in.

    • Val mentioned that we need to persuade some younger members to come along to our meetings perhaps when there is an interesting speaker and then hopefully they will join as members. It was suggested that perhaps a special night could be held but Bill advised that this proved an expensive exercise when it has been done before. We should just try and encourage new members to come along. it was mentioned that they should pay for their first meal and then if they come back they get their next 3 meals compliments of the club.

    • On the 16th of July the Directors need to be at the Club at 4.30pm for the visit from the District Governor.

    • Thought for the night - Behind every successful large project lays a courageous decision.